Monday, November 23, 2009

To Sai... with love

I remember sitting on the sands of Prashanthi Nilayam, all of five years old, looking towards your mandir and seeing you emerge from the ornate door. Like one who is not of this world, you gently strode towards the crowd. Gliding across the sands, barely leaving footprints. As the orange speck in the distance came closer, my heart beat really fast, until you were standing in front of me, looking towards me, your eyes filled with the love of a thousand mothers. How can I forget that blaze of compassion, as you gazed into my soul and recognized me from many lifetimes ago?

How can I forget the tears of devotion that flowed as I looked at you, intoxicated with your aura, and recognized you as the One from the beginning of time? Not a word was spoken; but so much was said.

When I look back, I see that so much has changed, but you... have always been there. When I felt low and dejected, I closed my eyes and thought of you. You were there. When I was happy and elated, I looked at you, and you seemed just as happy, if not more. There were those who told me that life is serious and that loving God is not child's play. But your gurgling laughter and hilarious quips that day as we sat in your room, told me otherwise. You showed me that life is, after all, just a laugh. And the happier we are, the closer we are to God. How effortless it would all be, if only we'd let go.

When Mom passed away and it seemed like life was not worth living anymore, you reminded me that life is eternal, and the body only temporary. When I feared about the future, you showed me that where there is love, there is no place for fear.

The most precious gift that you have given me, dear Sai, is the gift of my inner voice. The gift of Sai within. When you told me that day that "you are also Sai, I am also Sai", I knew then that there was no difference. That happiness, love, compassion, fortitude... all of these are within me. Just as they are within you. Today, I don't have to see you in Prashanthi to feel close to you. Wherever there is love, there I see you. There I see the Universe. There I see God. You have taken me to greener pastures, yet I feel closer home. What a beautiful journey it has been, from Sai to Sai.

(Today is Sri Sathya Sai Baba's birthday)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant post.
Mother Sai, the indweller of our hearts....forever.

sulo badri said...

i never expected to see a fellow blogger writing on SAI... n it sure did bring in a wave of bliss - thats what waves of SAI does, hey na...

advance wishes for the 85th Bhagwan :) n yes, thanks for the inner voice... :)

Ramya said...

This is the first time that i have read an excellent article about swami on a personal blog...
Excellent post...

leora Rosenberg said...

this was so beautiful Sai! thank you for sharing=)

Anonymous said...

Sai, as always, straight from the heart. And knowing you, love, peace, goodness, caring, humane-ity....... all exist in abundance in you. And I also know that you will put to use these inherent blessings.
Hope to meet more people like you. Stay in touch. Reena

Saraswati said...

Mmmmm... so delicious, so sublime, so 'exactly it.' Love your words, buddy. So much love always...xoxo

Swapna Maini said...

So so beautiful!! Absolutely love the way you put it... so true... you're also Sai... he's also Sai!