Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Do the Happy Dance!

Yesterday, I stopped to look at some flowers - little purple ones with white streaks on the petals. The white streaks made the flowers look like they were "smiling." There were tiny bees buzzing all around - not the regular honeybees, but smaller ones. I have no idea what they're called. One of them seemed happier than the others. She would sit on a petal, then fly up and do a "happy dance," as I like to call it, which involved her flapping her tiny wings at top speed and flitting from side to side, all the while hovering at one spot in the air. When she was done with her little jig, she would sit on the petal again. I'm sure there's some sort of scientific jargon that explains this behavior. However, "happy dance" works for me.

During those brief moments of looking nature in the eye, I was immediately drawn into the moment. For a few seconds, nothing else mattered - my anxieties, ambitions, concerns, thoughts, hopes, memories - ceased to exist. Life was just plain beautiful. And I didn't need to go to a forest, or a nature park to feel that way. A bunch of flowers outside the house did the trick. All I had to do was look.

When was the last time you did the happy dance? When was the last time you smiled like the purple flowers?

"Come on Sai! Get real." That's what they tell me when I talk about being happy just for the sake of being happy. Work. Career. Deadlines. Bonuses. Home loans. Big Car. Bigger Car. With goals as big as these, who wants to bother with purple flowers? Society tells us that we're "well settled," now that we have all these things, or at least that our eyes betray the hunger to someday have them at any cost. Even if it means sleepless nights and endless cups of coffee. Even if it means more trips to the doctor. Even if it means a painful marriage because one person is never around.

Society says we're well settled. I say we're well and truly lost.

We've learned to "manage" all kinds of situations and people at work. These days, everyone's being groomed to become a "manager." Countless career paths ultimately find their confluence in the ocean of "management". There's more categories of management out there than there are flavors of icecream. A visit to "Linked-In" will tell you that. But along with managing billion dollar companies, maybe it's time we paid a little more attention to "managing" ourselves. Even in the busiest of schedules, a manager takes out time to chat with her team members, to listen to what they have to say. How many times do we take out time to listen to our hearts for a bit? To be conscious of the spirit within us that guides, loves, and adores us?

As I emerge from my reverie with the flowers, I ask myself - is this how nature intended our lives to be? Chaotic, discontented, and restless? I don't think so. Perhaps Darwin did. Nature, however, intended us to live in balance. In harmony with ourselves and those around us.

At least that's what the purple flowers told me yesterday. So did the dancing bee. And I must say, I couldn't agree more!

8 comments:

marcime said...

"Society says we're well and settled, I say we are well and truly lost"

I couldn't agree with you, the bees, and the purple flowers more.

Anonymous said...

Sai - we live on a crazy planet. With so much beauty around and most of the population stuck doing crummy jobs they hate. I look at it all from a distance and see worker bees or worse, slaves. So removed from the gentle flow of nature - our true place. The pounding feet of modern life cause more people to visit the Dr's with depression. What's wrong with them, we might ask, but what's wrong with the system in place that makes so many feel like that. Peace and nature to you. x

Beth Chapman said...

Sai - this reminds me of my treasured and belovd Winnie the Pooh. I am the genetic offspring of a work aholic and have to fight that gene or learned behavior, not sure which. This was a great reminder of how easy we go zipping onto the on ramp not noticing we're on the wrong freeway. Thank you Mr Traffic Cop for letting me know I was going the wrong way on a one way street. Well done, as usual.

Swapna Maini said...

I love the message you've managed to send across through the purple flowers and the happy bees! Your post reminds me of a quote I once read:

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music!"
~Angela Monet

If only we could all dance the happy dance to the music of our souls!

Sai said...

Thank you all for your comments. :-) Swapna, that's a beautiful quote, thanks for sharing!

Avik said...

Truly inspirational. Every word holds a meaning so true, so divine. Thank you for sharing such wonderful thoughts.

Btw, dunno whther you have seen this link: http://www.tagtuner.com/music/albums/Saraswati-%26-Sai-Ganesh-Nagpal/Sai-Ras-Chants%2C-The-Power-of-Sound/album-v2b9883

angelguided said...

Love the strength in your gentle soul. Pass by my blog to recieve a lovely blog award :)

Anonymous said...

It's always such a pleasure to read your blog Sai. Keep them coming!

George